Thursday 24 January 2013

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

I am tired about writing about the problems the world faces, it's boring me *yawn*.  As I stare into the little of the sky that's left after all those trees, I begin to wonder what to write about next. Because I don't always feel like writing, but when I do, I just have to write, regardless if I have a topic or not. That's when my SuperSister comes to the rescue. 

It's funny how people use words with many syllables just to look intelligent right? They might not even know the meaning, nevertheless, they use it. Because it leaves your listeners in the impression that you're "perspicacious" "sagacious" and exceptionally deep. (Yes the first two words, I looked up the thesaurus). I think it just makes you look foolish. Because clearly they haven't heard the saying "Empty vessels make most noise", if they did, they wouldn't be using it. Moreover, the whole knack of it is, how you place your words. 
A contumacious entity who is erudite and adroit would fathom that Brobdingnagian words aren't what makes a sentence plausible.
Rather a thick-headed bloke thinks that the more syllables you have in the word, the better versed you seem. Well, big words consequently are only good for scrabble.
Which by the way I love. 
Oscar Wilde said " I am so clever sometimes I don't understand a word of what I am saying"
That, happens to over-intelligent people. But not these who read the dictionary like it's a Harry Potter novel. Impress people by your lines, not by words, cause that's what matters. 
Authors, for instance use simple language most of the time. Because that is what the readers like, complex messages in simple lines. That's what generally everybody likes. 

You know what would be funny, if your plan backfires, and the other person in the conversation uses bigger words. You're standing there, making a complete fool of yourself.

My point is, whoever is reading this, please don't use these big words even if you don't know the meaning. Clearly, whoever coined the phobia of long words (Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia) had quite a sense of humor and irony. And I will have that gargantuan phobia if this prevails!

Peace Out Y'all. 

2 comments: