Monday 4 February 2013

Superhero Part 2.

Okay, this is one memory that you would want to "Shift + Delete" form your brain. But nope, it's ROM and I can't do anything to un-remember it. (No, not forget it, un-rememeber it) So, here goes.

I was on my way back from Australia. You can imagine 2 months of summer in an entirely different continent with the coolest aunt and uncle, so yeah, I don't need to give much of a description for my trip. Anyhow, coming back, after the tears, hugs and goodbyes, I got into my flight from Goldcoast, Queensland, I was to have a 10 hour transit in KL. So, my uncle booked a little nice hotel 3-4 kms from KL Airport, so that my grandmother and I could rest in luxury. I was a bit apprehensive about that, because I did not want to get out of the "safe haven" of the airport *snort*.

After 8 hours of butt numbing joblessness, at 3.AM Malaysian time, I reach KL. The immigration was a piss off, all these officials, didn't even bother to smile. And that annoys me, why can't they smile? Anyhow, I went tot the taxi counter and ordered for a VIP taxi, and voila my taxi chettan came. I got in, and right after we left, I looked into the rear view mirror into the taxi driver's face. At first, I wasn't sure if he was sleeping or his eyes were that way. I didn't want to seem racist, so, I kept quite, then I heard loud breathing, so I made even louder noises so he would wake up. He dropped us off at the hotel and he took off.

When I tried to check in, there were a few blunders, which I don't remember much. Anyway, here comes the thing *drum roll* I looked into my bag to get my wallet to make my pay, AND IT WASN'T THERE. I checked forever and it wasn't there. The emotions that hit me, jeeeeeeeezus (my palms are sweating right now thinking of it). Hopeless, sleepless, broke, I sat devastated, and episodes of Jailed Abroad started playing in my head, just to make things worse. I got WiFi and tried to tell my uncle that my wallet was missing. But by the time "MAMA, We're stuck" was sent, my iPod died. WOOHOOO. I paced back and forth in the hotel, just having faith and prayed that we'd get out of this hell sooner. And that's when my superhero came, no he wasn't wearing a cape or undies over his tights, he was simply wearing a security guard's uniform. He came up to me, gave me 20 ringets, and asked me to go to the airport and tell the Airport Officials. (Did I mention, I was stuck in a hotel, and I needed money to get to the airport by the shuttle bus? So yeah, if he hadn't given me, I would still be stuck in the hotel) I stared at him in awe, out of all those diamond-wearing, iPhone-carrying asians, this one man, saved my life.

I heaved around 40 kilos in each of my hands, got into the bus and reached the airport. I reported to the Airport Cops, the Indian Embassy and everyone else. So, I connect to WiFi (I had a phone as well so, woohoo) , and get this tornado of messages from my uncle. I reply back, short and brief about the whole thing and finally breathe better. I had dreams of buying chocolates and so many things from the KL duty free, and all that shattered. So with the little money I had left, I called my mum up from a payphone and updated her with everything. And the change even after that, I bought myself Dunkin' Donuts, as I stood drooling over Starbucks, Asia 24, KFC and Maccas. I log onto Facebook, and update a status on my current condition and asked if anyone could help. I felt so helpless, I almost started crying, but no, I had to be strong.

I took a short nap, sitting down, because I had to kill time. Right after I woke up, my uncle had arranged for a guy to lend us 200 ringets. I got the money, and I finally could buy a little more food. After 7 more excruciating hours ( sorry for being so very vague, it's just that it's all foggy memories now) we reach our gates, when a Mallu aunty, hearing out our sobstory, buys us food and some water. There again, someone saves us.

I sit in the flight bound to Cochin, "Ayyyshaaa, Fathimaaa, avide irrikedi" ( Aysha, Fathima sit there!!); my mother toungue floats around the whole airbus. I smile a little, I'm finally home. I didn't know what happened to that wallet, maybe it's still there, maybe someone who needed it really bad got it, maybe... aaah, let's just forget that. I say a little prayer to God, thanking him for giving my courage to go through this tirade, and also for that security guard, if it weren't for him. I do not know what I would be. 

3 comments:

  1. No ordinary person can go through such a ordeal without shedding a tear. Amazing how you went through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's some memory indeed.
      Thank you, Josh. :)

      Delete