Tuesday 23 April 2013

Nomophobia.

Nomophobia isn't some big scary phobia threatening to put your life in danger, but many teenagers now might think of it as so. Nomophobia isn't some scientific word that was derived from Latin, Greek and Roman, it simply means No-mobile-phobia. But that's the latest phobia affecting the life of many "screenagers", including myself. Infact, I just checked my phone twice during the short period of typing this out hoping for some BBM, Whatsapp or text.
I was looking through Twitter last night, when I read this fact saying that the first symptom according to scientists of Smartphone addiction is the feeling of getting a text even though you didn't.  I remember having that feeling many a times, that's when I realized I am an addict. This morning,I was with my family but when everyone spoke I just sat there, staring into this little black box with a small screen typing away to glory. For everyone else, it's just a phone but for me it's where my whole life is. I get an uncomfortable feeling when someone else has my phone, and I just like everyone else I have locked my phone from prying eyes.
That's the story of every cellphone addict, I don't like it. I know that it's antisocial and crappy for everyone else. But for us, it's where we belong or so they say. You become distant, you hardly listen to anything and you rather stay up late looking through your phone than stay up late talking to your family. It's dangerous you sort of miss what's happening around you. Smartphone addiction has almost the same withdrawal symptoms as drug addiction. That's scary. So just look away from your phone for a second, and grasp your surroundings. Keep your phone away for a while and don't carry it around always. Speak to everyone around you and you'll reconnect. Find a distraction like reading and you've curbed your cellphone addiction.
Everyone will see the change and everyone will respect you for not being like the normal addicted teenagers.
Cheers and be happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment